Getting sober, staying sober, and navigating the daily challenges of addiction recovery are not easy. But with the right guidance and counseling, anyone can do it. Thankfully, there are many resources, including recovery quotes and sayings, that can help motivate, inspire, and guide us along the way.
Here are 10 of our favorite recovery quotes that we love for their practical wisdom and encouragement.
1. “If you can quit for a day, you can quit for a lifetime.” – Benjamin Alire Saenz
One of the most important tenants of 12-step recovery is “One Day at a Time.” Anyone can fight the battles of just one day. And a “lifetime” is just a collection of single days. So like the quote says, if you can quit for today, then you can quit for a lifetime.
2. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius
Recovery is not a race; it’s a journey. Take it slow and steady, enjoy the rewards along the way, and remember that every step you take—no matter how small—is a step toward a better life.
3. “Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.” — Robert Collier
Recovery doesn’t happen in leaps and bounds. It happens by inches and feet. People succeed by taking small steps, day in and day out. Consistency is the key, not volume.
4. “The best way out is always through.” – Robert Frost
We all want an easier, softer way to solve our problems. But in sobriety, we learn that the best way to get through difficult times is by meeting them head-on, despite our fear.
5. “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
In active drug addiction and alcoholism, we didn’t have a choice. In sobriety, we get to choose who we are and what we want, and we have the clear head and unhindered capability to achieve our goals.
6. “You may think there is a lot wrong with you, but there is also a lot right with you.” – Joel Osteen
An important part of the recovery process involves taking inventory of our past mistakes and defects of character. Equally important, however, is taking stock of our positive attributes and the things we’ve done right.
7. “If you don’t deal with your demons, they will deal with you, and it’s gonna hurt.” – Nikki Sixx
Putting down the bottle is just the first step. True recovery requires facing our feelings and our demons—the things that made us want to use in the first place. Only by addressing our underlying issues can we fully recover, heal, and get off the painful merry-go-round of addiction.
8. “Sometimes we motivate ourselves by thinking of what we want to become. Sometimes we motivate ourselves by thinking about who we don’t want ever want to be again.” – Shane Niemeyer
The possibility of shaping our own destiny can be highly motivating. So can the fear of returning to our old ways. When we first get sober, many of us don’t know who we are or who we want to be. But we know without a doubt who we don’t ever want to be again.
9. “My favorite six words in recovery are: trust God, clean house, help others.” – Matthew Perry
At its core, the 12-step program of addiction recovery is that simple. First, believe and trust in a Higher Power. Second, deal with your demons and the wreckage of your past. Finally, help others, share the message and pass along the gift you’ve been given.
10. “Your best days are ahead of you. The movie starts when the guy gets sober and puts his life back together; it doesn’t end there.” Bucky Sinister
In recovery, life gets better. And it keeps getting better. If you’re new in sobriety, your story is just beginning. You get to write a new chapter, and the possibilities are endless. Be excited! The journey is difficult, but it’s also rewarding.
Continue On the Path to Recovery
We hope these recovery quotes are helpful in your personal journey toward wellness. Whether you’re newly sober or have been sober for years, simple ideas like those mentioned here can be helpful tools for staying on the right path.
If you need help with your recovery, you can call our admissions staff at 740-432-4906. Or, if you’re not ready for that step, you can fill out our online contact form. Wherever you are in this process, we are ready and waiting to help you.